Monday, December 20, 2010

Not quite Kitschy.







Kitsch, one of my favorite stores in town. Hosts a select group of designers from across the world, introducing them to the Indian market. Already existing brands like Stella McCartney, Lanvin, Marc Jacobs and Moschino, amongst others. Kitsch, owned by the powerful duo Charu and Priya Sachdev (they're sisters btw) held a special preview of a few of its labels and also an introductory fashion show of Herve Leger, Elise Overland and Alice + Olivia. While I'm ecstatic that brands like Herve Leger and Alice + Olivia are now finally available to the Indian market, perhaps changing the way the social frat dresses, I'm still rather bummed about last nights preview.

The show started with up beat music, and models strutting down the stage that was the runway, wearing Stella McCartneys SS11 collection, then moving on to Alice and Olivia and further on to Herve Leger and Elise Overland. What I loved most about the show was the music which was perfectly in sync with the beautifully choreographed walk that the models displayed... But what was more impressive was the simple pony and non dramatic make up. Which really helped give the garments the importance and sophistication they deserve. Everything was going well, The McQueen show started as scheduled and male models began to appear, they walked down the stage as the women followed closely. All was beautiful and there was a sweet taste in my mouth, feeling content, I expected every coming minute of the show to be as beautiful as the minutes gone by... Only to realize, I'm back in India now, and no fashion show is ay fashion show with an actor/actress walk down the ramp as the finalé. Lame. Seriously. Move past the Bollywood fascination people. And anyway, getting Bobby Deol to walk down the ramp is NOT paying tribute to the late McQueen. He does not and would not care.
The whole Bobby Deol incident left a bitter taste in my mouth and I was convinced that perhaps, the fashion frat of the country is yet to develop to something more extra ordinary and sophisticated.
The after party involved meeting some fun people and talking about stuff in general. And of course, the alcohol. Hah, good times.

I went with my friends Arushi- a stylist, Kaveri- A fashion journalist in the making and well, me. We all got our sexy on (hah, sexy on.) and did our thing and headed back home just in time to call it a night.


Oh, what did I think of the Sachdev sisters you ask? Yes, you!
Well, I've mentioned before how big a fan I am of the two sisters. For all that they have done. And bringing labels like Leger and Alice + Olivia to India, was just pure genius. However, they might want to dress it up a notch. While Priya stuck to a miniscule body hugging black bondagy dress with (patent leather?) POINTY boots (Yeesh) and a head band, Charu was the better dressed of the two with a long woolen dress with pleates and poofed shoulders and a red patent leather clutch. Again, not working. I wish they'd hire a stylist. With such versatile looks such as theirs, they could pull of so many different kind of looks. Yet they choose the pointy patent leather boots. Sigh*

Well, this is a message to you, I knoooow you guys have access to so many clothes and what not. But perhaps hiring a stylist COULD do you some good, no? Why don't you give that a shot? Once? HIRE ME. Hah. A stylist in the making, myself... I would love to present them with a few options! Anyway... Here's hoping they do better next time!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment